Couture: Sojourn Boutique, Bellingham

I can honestly say that Sojourn is the first locally owned boutique I came to love. While working my way through graduate school and in my early teaching days in Bellingham, I used to scrimp and save for that special piece I’d long coveted through my hours of browsing and window shopping there. Owner Peggy has great brand representation to appeal to a variety of styles, body shapes, and ages. For example, my long-legged sister, my fair skinned mother, and I can all find a piece or two that we not only fall in love with, but which become staples in our everyday wardrobes. Because that’s what fashion is really all about at the core, right? Finding a piece that you adore and that makes you feel good when you put it on. For me, that happens oh-so-many times when I visit Sojourn. On this visit, owner Peggy was out, but I was well looked after by Monica, and then later by Sara, two sweet ladies who were incredibly patient with me as I picked through every rack, shelf, and display to find the pieces that spoke to me the most. In this visit, I scored a cropped dark wash pair of Seven jeans that will surely become a mainstay in my Spring 2018 wardrobe, a beautiful dark floral top by Jack with sweet details like bows at the wrists and a sexy crisscross peek-a-boo across the back, a wine colored sleeveless lace top by BB Dakota for 50% off, and my new favorite item, a pair of black satin Free People mules. I can’t wait to start playing mix and match with these fun pieces.

You can tell by the color and texture of the store’s offerings that Peggy puts a lot of thought into her purchases. Peggy offers high end denim by brands like Hudson, but also affordable jeans by Level99. Some of my favorite Free People items come from Sojourn. Even though we have several Free People locations in the Seattle area, and Nordstrom carries quite a bit of their collection, I find that Peggy’s smaller edit of FP are the pieces that tend to be easier to wear. FP likes to play with volume and proportions, and that doesn’t always translate to a wearable style for a 30 something like me. I tried on an adorable faux leather embroidered moto jacket that I would have taken home if they’d had my size. If you live in Bellingham, go grab one before they’re gone! They also had an adorable gray floral stitched sweater by Willow and Clay that also stood out to me.

Peggy’s eye for detail extends to her space. The fitting rooms feature soft lighting, shabby chic mirrors, and vintage chairs and clothes hooks. The seating area, or as Monica notes, the “Man Chairs,” are located just outside the fitting rooms so that you don’t have to traipse across the store to get a second opinion. A tall three-way mirror sits next to the seating area for getting those alternate angles, and hung next to the mirror is a beautiful chandelier giving off an aura of flattering lighting. The whole store feels like you’re in your best friend’s apartment, trying on her most fun clothes. To complete the vibe, music sounded over the store from a specially curated playlist by Monica, including old school hits like Puff Daddy and newer hits like Demi Lovato’s “Sorry Not Sorry.” If you happen to be in Bellingham, Sojourn is a must visit, but even if you don’t, it’s worth the trip! And if you need a pick-me-up after all the shopping, you should pop over to Avellino, a couple doors down from Sojourn. Avellino is the perfect complement to Sojourn with its eclectic, mismatched tables and chairs tucked under beautiful, assorted antique chandeliers. Their homemade biscotti is not to be missed.

Pics from Sojourn














Biscotti at Avellino