Carrots and Couture: Date Night!


Carrots: Happy Hour at Wild Ginger

One of our favorite ways to wrap up the workweek is to hit up a local happy hour and see a movie afterward. There's something about having a little bubbly or wine in your stomach and then jaunting off to immerse yourself in fantasy land for a couple of hours that makes the stress of the week just fade to the background. 

This week, we went to Wild Ginger in Bellevue, a favorite spot of ours, especially since they have moved to their new location. I will say, I don't love the dining room in the new Lincoln Square location. It's dark. To the point that you get the feeling that it's always late at night no matter what time you're dining. But, the bar is fabulous. Floor to ceiling window provide a backdrop to cushy leather barstools which means you're comfortable while you're ogling the people who walk by on the sidewalk outside. 

Wild Ginger is one of the most customizable restaurants in the Seattle area. As a vegan, I am well used to the ubiquitous eye roll from sassy servers who don't want to deal with my food allergies or dietary restrictions. I get it. I was a server too. But, if I'm asking nicely, would you please help me find a way to mish-mash a vegan meal from your menu?! Fortunately, Wild Ginger is not one of those anti-modification places. So, when Ryan mentioned I am a vegan, the server happily pointed out several Wild Ginger offerings that are already vegan (which I already knew since I have the menu nearly memorized). Our server graciously added, "But really, if there's anything else you see that you'd like to try, please let me know. We can probably modify it to fit your diet." And he said it with a genuine smile and an eagerness to please. I love that the restaurant's chefs and servers are so open to the varied needs of their customers. Thank you, Wild Ginger. This is what keeps me coming back. That, and they had champagne for $5 a glass. Just sayin'. 

We ordered a sampling from the happy hour menu, including the Tofu Pad Thai and Spring Rolls. We also ordered the can't-be-missed Sichuan Green Beans and the Seven Flavor Tofu from the regular menu—two dishes that I could honestly eat three times a week and never tire of. Every bite was hot, balanced, appropriately spicy, and delicious. Two happy hour sized plates, a main, and a veggie side made for the perfect amount of food for the two of us to nibble on as we lingered for two hours before the movie.

Couture: Happy Hour Date Night
On Fridays, I like to wear something to school that I can change up for an evening out without completely changing clothes. Because the thought of getting dressed a second time after work on Friday is enough to convince me to just stay home. This week, I wore a pink lace ruffle hem blouse to school with pink flats and skinny blue jeans, the perfect casual Friday spring outfit. For a more evening appropriate look, I changed it up by putting on a pair of dark gray jeans, wedge pumps, and a bit more make up. I pulled the look together with a ladylike purse and a leather moto jacket, mixing the feminine pink with a bit of punk leather.