Carrots and Couture: An Afternoon in Tacoma

Recently, my mom, sister, and I road tripped about an hour south to Tacoma for a mother-daughter photo session with our favorite photographer. Jenny Wohrle has been capturing our family for a number of years now. She first photographed Ryan, Sadie, and me back in 2013 and has been snapping our holiday photos ever since. Jenny also photographed my parents' 40th wedding anniversary party, a memorable and intimate evening that we will never forget. Jenny's photos captured the party in a way that spoke to how we all felt about the party. Just looking at the candid and posed shots brings tears to our eyes. During the evening, Jenny was more like the warm guest who fits in with the family... certainly not the intrusive photographer who click, click, clicks and interrupts the moment. Jenny was the omniscient presence that caught every moment without taking away from the experience for my family. I think that's about as high of praise as you can possibly give an event photographer. So, when Jenny invited me to partake in her Fierce Females photo session, I jumped at the chance. The photos of my mom, sister, and me are pics we will treasure forever and, in her usual Jenny Wohrle style, she captured the love and connectedness that bonds the three of us together in just the right way. Bravo, Jenny.

After our photoshoot, we wandered down Pacific Avenue to Anthem Coffee, one of my favorite little haunts in Tacoma. Nestled next to the Tacoma Art Museum and just across the Chihuly-bedecked footbridge that leads to the Museum of Glass, Anthem is a gem of a spot. This cafe features industrial accents, friendly baristas, and really, really good coffee. I ordered an extra hot almond milk latte, my sister a chai with one of the most beautiful looking croissants I've seen since Paris, and my mom chose from their wide assortment of loose-leaf teas. We sat and visited for nearly two hours, happy to nibble, sip, and chat to the tunes of an amazing 90s playlist that beat along in the background. This is by far my favorite Tacoma coffee spot and it is worth a bit of a drive from the freeway if you happen to find yourself in the area. Seattle may be hailed for top-notch cafes, but Anthem holds its own.

Photos courtesy of Jenny Wohrle. My outfit: Off-the-Shoulder Top, Evereve.com. Skinny Jeans, Hudson. Printed Peep Toe Wedges, Toms. Earrings, Kendra Scott.



Some pics from my parents' anniversary party. Photo credits: Jenny Wohrle.


Pics from Anthem Coffee in Tacoma.