Carrots: The Perfect Avocado Toast

You know those Buzzfeed articles that tell you something about yourself that you never knew you needed to know? Well, the most recent one I read told me that, technically, I was born in a year that constitutes the era of "the millennial". How can this be possible?! I am not a selfie-loving, always-plugged-in, unwilling to pay for cable TV, non-car owner. But, apparently I am on the cusp of the millennial era, and perhaps that explains my deep love for avocado toast. 

Yes. I am willing to admit it. There is no brunch item I love more than silky, indulgent avocado spread over that perfectly balanced soft-crunchy toast sprinkled with salt and pepper. But, I am also willing to bet that my avocado toast is better than most restaurant versions, and WAY less expensive. If you've seen the 60 Minutes interview with millionare and property mogul, Tim Gurner, or read any follow up articles to the episode, you know that he blames avocado toast for why millennials can't by homes. Maybe there's some truth to that. All the more reason to make it at home.

The foundation for great avocado toast is great bread. I either like a nice hearty ciabatta or the white bread from Flying Apron bakery in Redmond. Simple and hearty, this bread holds up in the toaster, doesn't get soggy when loaded with avocado, and doesn't compete for flavor. The next tip is to use perfectly ripe avocadoes. They should be soft to the touch, but not so much that they feel like mush under the skin. The last tip is my secret ingredient: Tajin. Tajin is a chili lime seasoning that my BFF and I discovered is also the secret to Cactus restaurant's amazing veggies.

Avocado toast is a meal on its own, but it is also great when paired with a simple green salad, a light bowl of soup, or fresh fruit. It can be eaten on the go, or as I prefer it, at the table and paired with something bubbly. If you're like me, you see avocado toast as more than just breakfast food. It is a regular staple in our weeknight dinner rotation.

Here's the recipe.

Perfect Avocado Toast

2 large ripe avocadoes, or 3-4 mini avocadoes
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Tajin seasoning
Fresh bread, sliced thick and toasted 
Heirloom tomatoes, thickly sliced

Mash the avocadoes with the lemon juice. Add the seasonings and mix well.

Pile the avocado mash on freshly toasted bread. Top with sliced tomatoes. Serve immediately. 

You could garnish the avocado toast with sliced green onion or some chopped cilantro. Sometimes, I will take some leftover cooked edamame and add it into the avocado mash for some additional protein.