Couture: Palm Springs Resort Wear

What do you wear when it's 115 degrees and you are a Pacific Northwest Girl at heart who has sadly but surely acclimated to the 68 degree Seattle summer weather? The answer is 100% cotton and linen, and no synthetic fabrics whatsoever. Cotton and linen are breathable fabrics that allow air to circulate as you wear them—think of a breezy cotton maxi dress or a lightweight linen billowy pair of shorts. Those are the types of fabrics you want against your skin when you're in stiflingly hot weather, and not polyester, rayon, or any other synthetic fabric.

Here are three looks I pulled together for our recent trip to Palm Springs. You can see everything I packed by reading a previous post here.

Look #1: Tropical Separates. This cute Lush brand shorts and top set was a great find at Purpose Boutique in Kirkland. I decided to go bold and wear them together to acheive a romper-like effect. I paired the loud palm frond print with a pair of neutral Toms wedge sandals and a Kate Spade basketweave tote. To keep from competing with the pattern of the outfit, I swept my hair back into a chic bun.




All of us together at the resort: Ryan, me, Mom, Dad. Vacation-happy smiles!


Look #2: The Breezy Sundress. This white cotton sundress from Evereve was the perfect feels-like-you're-wearing-nothing answer to a well past 100-degree evening. I recycled the Kate Spade tote and Toms wedges from the previous look to keep the bulk of my suitcase down. For this look, I added a simple gold bracelet, oversized gold hoops, and wore my hair down.



Look #3: Travel Day Chic. Even though it's tempting to just want to wear my Lulus for a day of travel, I love the appeal of dressing for a flight, a bygone way of traveling from yesteryear. To marry comfort-meets-glam, I opted for a cotton maxi dress by Current/Elliott with some simple Oka-B flip-flops, various pieces of delicate silver and platinum jewelry, my Kate Spade tote, and a Tory Burch canvas carry-all travel bag. I stowed a flowy black and white patterned scarf and a cropped denim jacket in my carry-on so I could keep warm on the sure-to-be freezing plane.

All packed up and ready to go.



At the airport and ready to board, pictured with my beautiful mom.

Arrival in Palm Springs!


A toast to the start of vacation week in the lobby with my handsome husband.