Couture: Shopping Madison and 5th Avenue

What's more fun than fall fashion? A trip to New York to snap up some coveted pieces just in time for fall. Last week, Ryan and I spent some time in The Big Apple. While he worked, I played. Madison and Fifth made up most of my playground. Here are some of the fun finds I brought home from the trip. 

Madison Avenue Kate Spade
I have yet to find a better Kate Spade. This one takes the cake. Four floors of fabulousness feature shoes, and handbags, and clothes (oh my!). Thanks to the help of the wonderful stylist, Susan, who is now also my second favorite person in New York (second only to my college friend, Maria), I got my hands on (err, my feet into?) these sweet block heels with the faux fur bows. They were sent as a sample size to the store, so I'm the first person to own them! Other fab finds included this fit and flare denim skirt with the seventies vibe. I already can't wait to wear it with some suede heels and a leather jacket. Thank you, Susan, for making my shopping experience one-of-a-kind fantastic. 




Saks on Fifth
Saks on Fifth Avenue is a must in New York. This year, I'm all about the plaids. I am so excited about these frayed hem scaves from Burberry. The frayed hem gives them a bit more volume so they really stand up when you throw them around your neck. I picked a bright red one and will rock it this fall over turtlenecks, sweaters, puffer vests, and wool car coats.





Fifth Avenue Tiffany & Co.

Okay, so I didn't exactly have breakfast at Tiffany, but I did go there for happy hour! I love the way the brand is embracing more color and offering more ways to customize pieces. I came away with a delicate bracelet with a red Tiffany heart charm and a pair of Tiffany Blue earrings.




Fifth Avenue Lululemon
It is a given that I visit a Lulu every time I travel, but I was so excited that I happened upon the Lululemon on Fifth. They had an exclusive heat press so I could customize my cool racerback with "New York" in rainbow lettering. So much more fun than a cheesy tee from a tourist shop!




Madison Avenue Sweaty Betty
Dear Sweaty Betty... please open a store in Seattle or Bellevue. For the meantime, I'll just have to shop online. The Madison Avenue store had great customer service... and a customizable heat press! I wound up with a pair of monogrammed leggings and a couple more simhasana sweatshirts, which are my absolute fave. I throw these on over workout clothes, but I also wear these sweatshirts as part of my regular outfit as well. 



Heavenly Bodies at The Met
Even though I didn't shop at The Met--okay, I came home with a cute tote bag to ferry essays to and from school this fall--I thought it was worth including the Heavenly Bodies exhibit at The Met. If you haven't been, you need to schedule a trip to Manhattan. The whole exhibit was set to music and curated by Vogue editor, Anna Wintour. To see such works of art up close and personal--the Christian Lacroix jacket, the Dolce mini dress, the YSL ensemble, and the Givenchy feather dress--was an almost out of body experience. Some of the pieces, such as the aforementioned, actually took my breath away. After I finished viewing the Heavenly Bodies exhibit, I went up to the rooftop deck. In all the times I've been to the Met--and I've explored every inch on the inside--I never knew there was a rooftop. And wow, what a view. It was like floating at the treeline of central park.