Couture: Hello Labor Day, Goodbye Summer

The time has come. We have reached the unofficial end of summer. Though we might still have some sunny and warmish afternoons, they are fleeting. I'm sure you've noticed the lingering morning crispness...there's a chill to the start and close of each day that wasn't present a couple of weeks ago. And while the end of summer always makes me feel a little sad—it is, after all, a relatively short season of warm weather in Seattle—I also welcome the shift of the season. The start of school. The return of all things pumpkin spice. The changing hues of the leaves. The excuse to roast all kinds of squashes. All of this means it's also time for fall fashion. Hello tweed. Hello cashmere. Hello suede! All those yummy, cozy fabrics are just waiting to be worn again. But first, it's time for the seasonal closet clean out.


Because we live in a relatively urban area—walking distance to restaurants, bars, and shops—that also means that space is at a premium. I am blessed to have a walk-in closet, but it's not the closet of my dreams. That's for a different post on a different day and involves a long paragraph on why seating and natural light are so important in a closet or dressing space. So, while I realize that I am spoiled in the world of closets by most standards, it is certainly not big enough to hold all of my treasures. Hence the need for seasonal clean outs. Here’s the secret: I only keep items that are in season in my closet at any given time. The rest are stowed safely away in a large number of colorful Rubbermaids, tucked away in storage until the next seasonal change. That means I have relatively few heavy sweaters in my closet as of now. Those will come later--around mid to late October when we hit the first big temperature drop. For now, I have pulled all the items that will get me through the next 2 1/2 months, and stowed all the pieces that don't quite fit the weather or feel of the season anymore.

Summer to Fall Shoulder Season Keeps: 
  • Ankle length jeans of any color. Yep, even white! I don't subscribe to that you-can't-wear-white-after-labor-day rule of yesteryear. Have you seen white jeans paired with a caramel sweater and suede ankle boots? So cute and so fall forward. 
  • Denim shirts or linen jackets, especially anything with a military feel. These layer so well over fall blouses and shift dresses.
  • Sleeveless or short-sleeved dresses that aren't brightly colored. For example, I have a deep purple tank dress that looks great with a gray sweater and knee high boots for fall. That stays. 
  • Sleeveless or short-sleeved blouses that can easily be layered with sweaters. 
Summer Stow-Aways:
  • White, pastel, or brightly floral summer dresses. If the floral is a dark floral (think a navy or black background to the pattern), you could layer a dark tee underneath and throw a sweater on top. But, a yellow maxi dress just says summer to me.
  • Anything gingham, especially blue gingham. This is a wonderful fabric for Fourth of July BBQs, but the pattern just doesn't carry over to September wine tasting.
  • Brightly colored sandals. Keep the brown leather or anything metallic. Stow the bright pink and orange ones. 
  • Rompers. Longer jumpsuits can be worn year-round, but short style rompers are really more for lazy summer days of drinking rosé.
  • Straw or basket weave handbags. It's going to start raining this week... a soggy handbag is no go.
Fall Break Outs:
  • Suede. Pull out anything suede. This is the perfect time of year to rock this supple fall fabric...before the heavy rain and deeper, cooler temps start up.
  • Lightweight cashmere sweaters and cardigans. I like to keep my turtlenecks and heavy sweaters tucked away until later in the fall because the temps haven't dropped enough to need them. Winter is a long season... don't worry, they will get their turn.
  • Wellingtons and light rain jackets. Especially Hunter boots in a fun fall hue. I even love hunters when paired with a mini skirt and tee.
  • Ankle boots. I find that I grow tired of my knee high and OTK boots by the end of winter. So, I keep those in storage until later in the season. Ankle boots are an easy way to make a summer dress look fall forward.
  • Scarves. Throw one over a tank and jeans in the morning, and then tie it around your handbag in the afternoon. These thirty degree swing days can be hard to dress for... it's barely above 50 on the way to work and then on the drive home it's 80 and you're cranking the air conditioning. 
  • Coats and vests. It won't be long before it's too cold to head out of the house without an extra layer. I love some of my lighter weight wool coats, leather moto jackets, and quilted vests for fall. They add warmth without the bulk of a winter puffer coat.
Before I pack everything away, I check for any items that might need repairing (missing buttons, ripped seams, etc.). I get those items tailored and cleaned up before putting them away. I also leave anything I didn't end up wearing from the past season aside. I like to put those unworn pieces in a separate bin to remind myself that those items straight to the consignment store next summer. One little tip is that I like to add dryer sheets to the bottom and top of each bin. The fabric softener scent keep the clothes smelling fresh while in storage, but are also a deterrent for pests. They are also a lot cheaper than buying loads of cedar blocks!

As I take out new items, I try on anything I'm not sure about—those jeans that were a little too tight or too loose last fall? Try them on. If they don't fit like a glove, they get tossed. Any item that I don't immediately love gets put aside. Pulling out your clothing for the start of a new season should be like welcoming old, dear friends. If you aren't pleasantly surprised to see them, they have to go. I also get rid of anything that was so trendy it looks dated. Remember last fall when everyone was wearing what I call Laura Ingalls Wilder "chic" looks? Unfortunately, I may have wound up with 1 or 2 peasant blouses in my wardrobe last fall. Those will not enter my closet again this season. Out. 

When everything fall is hung in place, hangers all facing the same way, and all of my summer items have been neatly folded and stowed away, I take the “no” piles to my favorite consignment store, Between Friends. Because my “no’s” might be someone else’s “yes!” Located in Bellevue between Main and 2nd, Between Friends is owned by my friend and fellow fashionista, Jill. Jill could not be more sweet and easy to work with. She takes gently used items, by appointment, and uses a website so you can track your consignment loot and keep a running log of how much you're earning. Jill has a number of loyal consignors which ensures that her store is always packed with great finds for deep discounts. I recently picked up a Tory Burch crossbody bag for 80% off the retail price. Yup. 80% off. The other day, I spied a pair of Choe suede pumps for under $100... and they retail for nearly $700. She has a great eye for what sells and always has a wonderfully curated selection of in-season pieces. Currently, the store is filled with all the items I listed previously—lightweight sweaters, suede shoes and jackets, scarves, and fall dresses. 

Though my seasonal closet clean out generally takes me 1 or 2 marathon days, or I can spread the work out over the course of a week, despite the work, it always feels so good to know that everything in my closet is wearable right now, tailored to fit me, clean, and organized (by color, item type, and sleeve length). There's something about organizing that calms the mind. I sleep better when the closet is done.

So, happy cleaning, weeding, and stowing of summer things. And hello fall. I hope you welcome your last year's sweaters, coats, scarves, and ankle boots with a smile of anticipation of all the fun you'll have wearing those pieces this season. And if you happen to stop by Between Friends in the next few weeks, you will find the boutique freshly stocked with many of my gently worn pieces from last year. Here’s to a great September and the start of a beautiful fall.

Between Friends Consignment Pics. Scroll down for some great fall bags from Gucci, LV, and Marc Jacobs!










Goodbye Summer Clothes. Sadie poses in front of a few of the bins.