Couture: My New Go-To Skirt

There is something so flirty about a mini skirt. The higher hemline is so flattering on the leg. I love how versatile mini skirts can be. You can rock a distressed black denim mini skirt for a concert. You can wear an A-line mini to work. You can glitter in a sequined mini skirt at a cocktail party. And everything in between. They are super versatile and timeless. A nod to the 60s, mini skirts are a bit of a throwback feminist look, but they are also having a very current moment in fashion. Check out any fashion magazine, storefront window, or retailer website, and you'll find a slew of minis in courduroy, velvet, satin, denim, etc. The mini is making a major statement this season.

For me, minis have always been a go-to. At my "petite" stature, I am thrilled to see midis working their way out of fashion, and minis working their way back in. I have minis in every color and fabric. But, my new fave is a wool "Princess" mini at J.Crew. This closet staple is made from high quality wool, but it's not super thick to the point that it adds bulkiness. In fact, it flows away from the body, almost A-line in style. It's the marriage between an A-line and a pencil skirt... not too loose and not too tight. The Goldilocks of mini skirts. 

This skirt comes in four fabulous shades: ivory, heather honey, cranberry punch, and navy. I own three of the four colors, only opting not to buy the ivory because it's too similar to an ivory J.Crew skirt I have from several years back. Clearly, this skirt will be in heavy rotation in my wardrobe from now through March. I think I can even get away with wearing the cranberry punch... in its glorious sunny pink splendor... come April. 

At J.Crew, this skirt has been styled with a blouse and flats. I would also wear this with a fitted sweater layered over an untucked button-up so the bottom of the shirt sticks out below the sweater's hem. I would wear this with a fitted turtleneck and knee-high boots. I could wear matte black tights, ankle boots, and a leather moto jacket. You could half-tuck in a fitted sweater and wear some great pumps with a pop of color. There are endless ways you can rock this skirt. And, if you act fast, it's even on sale! And if you happen to find yourself at the Bellevue J.Crew, ask for Nancy and tell her I sent you. She’s the best!