Carrots and Couture: Vacay in Punta Mita


When I think of my most perfect day, I imagine waking up to sun streaked, clear blue skies and warm weather. My day would start off with a piping hot almond milk latte, in bed, which I would sip ever so slowly to savor the moments as I switch between a couple of crosswords and a great book. At some point, once I’m fully caffeinated, I would go out for a leisurely run and then spend the bulk of the day flopped on a lounge chair enjoying the moment. With equal access to a serene pool and a private beach, I would take in the soothing sound of the wind swishing through the palm trees and the caress of the waves hitting the sand, easily lulling me to a peaceful sleep. Late afternoon, my nap would be broken with the arrival of champagne in a chilled glass and a healthy snack, just enough to tide me over before a lovely sunset dinner. This is the stuff dreams are made of.

Luckily for me, I didn't have to dream of my perfect day. I lived it. Again, and again, and again. 

Last week, Ryan and I skipped out on the snowy weather that has buffeted Seattle over the past month and headed south to Punta Mita, Mexico. Punta Mita is a 1,500-acre private peninsula. Home to three large resorts and a slew of smaller residences, Punta Mita is located on the north end of Banderas Bay in Narayit, Mexico, about 10 miles north of Puerto Vallarta. Punta Mita is a perfect locale for a beachside escape; surrounded on three sides by nearly 10 miles of Pacific Ocean beaches, you're sure to have a breathtaking view no matter where you stay, but I suggest you lodge at the St. Regis Punta Mita.

Built in 2008, the grand and expansive St. Regis Punta Mita covers 22 of the 1,500 total acres on the peninsula of Punta Mita. Located on the farthest end of the peninsula, it is surrounded by lush landscape on one side and ocean beach on the other side. Privacy is key at this hotel. Each room is designed so that guests feel secluded, but also pampered. One of my favorite features of our ocean view suite was the outdoor shower. Who knew that soaping off the sunscreen and sand could be so pleasant while staring up at swaying palm trees and a purple cloud streaked sky as the sun sets across Punta Mita each evening? 

Every room comes with the signature St. Regis butler service to meet your every whim. While I initially balked at the over-the-top concept of having a butler, and thought it might also be a bit intrusive, I quickly warmed to the idea when our first morning butler, Cesar, brought me almond milk lattes and a big pot of hot coffee while I stayed under the billowy covers of our king sized bed. At night, Omar, another of our regular butlers, would make sure we had a big supply of hot water for peppermint tea and would set up our coffee order for the morning. Let’s just say I took to the butler service like a fish to water. I mean, when in Rome, right?

By my first morning I was already a St. Regis believer thanks to the gorgeous grounds, the immaculate and spacious room with a view, and the attentive personal service of our butler. But even before that, I was immediately taken by the resort. You could say it was love at first sight. Greeted at the car after a long flight from Seattle, and an even longer wait through the shit show that is the Puerto Vallarta Customs line, and then a nearly hour long drive to the hotel, we were offered scented cool towels to cleanse our hands and an ice cold cocktail before we'd even set foot into the resort. Our bags were quietly ushered away by bellhops while we were shown to a beautiful outdoor table with cozy cushioned chairs where we could sip on our cocktails and catch our first glimpse of the hotel's grounds. Your eye follows the row of palm trees that run like fence posts, leading you to notice the adult-only infinity pool that overlooks the private beach. Yes, you heard that right. Adults only pool. Private beach. Cocktails. Butler service. I can stop there, but I won't.

Sweeping views that will take your breath away from the hotel lobby.



A most delightful welcome drink.

The rest of the trip was pretty well spent enjoying my dream day outlined in the opening of this blog post, rinse and repeat style. We'd wake up to Omar, Cesar, or one of our other amazingly kind and humble butlers bringing us hot coffee, we'd wriggle into our running shoes for a workout by running one of the many winding paths on the peninsula or treating ourselves to a cycle on one of the machines in the surprisingly pleasant and clean gym, and then we'd saunter to the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet. We actually called that lunch, since the buffet goes until noon. This means you can sleep in AND still enjoy a slow, over-the-top brunch that's sure to induce a poolside nap later on. 

Vegan brunch at Sea Breeze. Sweet potatoes, refried beans, and a mixed greens salad with a tangy vinaigrette.

Being vegan was no problem at the resort. To my surprise, the chefs and wait staff were incredibly accommodating. Sea Breeze, the same restaurant that hosts the morning breakfast buffet becomes a romantic spot for dining al fresco in the evenings. Chef Manuel, their resident vegan chef (also a vegan himself—always a good sign!) treated me to a number of their vegan specialties throughout the week including the roasted beet salad with yucca "cheese", seared tofu with radishes and avocado served over fried kale leaves and black bean puree, and chocolate ganache with a hazelnut crust and fresh fruit. Every day we ordered guacamole served poolside with plenty of spicy salsa and freshly squeezed lime juice.

Vegan dishes prepared by Chef Manuel.
  






One of my favorite facts about the St. Regis Punta Mita is that they have a Moet bar down by the beach. This means they have Moet Chandon and Veuve Clicquot on hand at all times. Most of the time when I ordered a glass, they would pop open a fresh bottle right in front of me. And from 5-6 pm every evening, they offer two-for-ones on their cocktails and champagne. Two fisting bubbles is my idea of a fun evening.

Champs, champs, and more champs.




The hotel has a lovely little boutique as you enter the property on the left. The store is open limited hours, but they have a variety of locally made items, including beachwear, jewelry, and my favorite--the handmade bags. I picked up a cute black and white beach tote that was made from 100% recycled materials in Oaxaca, Mexico. The best part is that it's plastic, so the sand and water just stream right through it. The fun pompoms made for a bright pop of color and the bag will remind me of this unforgettable trip.

My new beach tote, handmade in Oaxaca.


St. Regis Punta Mita, you are my happy place. And we will be back.