Carrots and Couture: Date Night in Manhattan

Some occasions just call for stepping it up a little bit. And a date night that starts in the champagne bar at The Plaza Hotel is one of those such moments.

Let's start by saying the champagne bar at the Plaza is a pretty special place to enjoy a glass of bubbly. Nestled in a quiet corner of the hotel's glamorous lobby, this romantic bar features cushy armchairs, flattering chandelier lighting, and the best service. Our table was centered below a gorgeous window that framed the bustling rush hour traffic outside on Fifth Avenue. While we debated whether the people watching was better indoors or out, we each enjoyed the driest effervescent glass of champagne while nibbling on the complimentary bar bites that accompanied our drinks. Ryan went for the smoky almonds and crispy chickpeas, but I favored the delicately cayenne spiced dark chocolate with pumpkin seeds. The subtle spiciness of the cocoa nibs paired perfectly with the dry sweetness of the Moet I was sipping. 

For this occasion, I knew I wanted to wear something special, a little step up from my regular date nightwear. I chose this Alice + Olivia red lace dress that will be perfect for summer in about two months. Too eager to wait, I braved the cooler NYC temps by pairing this shift dress with a fitted ruffle leather jacket and OTK suede boots. 

Bubbles and a fancy dress were just the start of this perfect date night. Though my look and the location set the tone, what really made the evening special was the company of my handsome husband Ryan.

The Look: Alice + Olivia Dress, Stuart Weitzman OTK Boots, and Halogen Ruffle Leather Jacket, all Nordstrom.