Couture: Sweet Finds at Sugar Shack

Last weekend, we spent a quick couple of days in NorCal for a family event. Aside from the great wine, amazing memories, and beautiful weather, I had the pleasure of visiting one of my favorite Sacramento boutiques. 

Back when I used to live in the area, Sugar Shack and sister store Krazy Mary's were my go-to's for reasonably priced of-the-moment trends. Owned by Sacramento native, Mary Kawano, the two boutiques offer unique finds in equally unique and welcoming spaces. Krazy Mary's opened in 2000, followed by Sugar Shack in 2002. 

Though Krazy Mary's has more designer pieces, Sugar Shack is more downtown hip. I love the thrift-shop feel achieved through the vintage frames repurposed as jewelry displays, the antique furniture painted in sunny colors, and the signature neon pink store front, made to look a bit reminiscent of a fifties diner. Many of the pieces offered in Sugar Shack are made locally. Prices range from $10 to $150, making the options more affordable than many of today's retailers. 

On this visit, I walked away with a great midi collared dress that cinches at the waist, as well as a fab pair of black cropped pants with sequin stripes running down the leg. I had my eye on a great satin bomber jacket, a satsuma-hued jumpsuit, and a pair of animal print Toms slides, but my suitcase was only so big.

Sugar Shack and Krazy Mary's both ship, and you can follow the boutiques on Instagram. Make sure you stop in for some sweet finds at Sugar Shack, especially, but also work your way over to Krazy Mary's.