Couture: Loving the Leather

True confession time. I eat like a vegan but I dress like a carnivore. And by that I mean fierce. But I also mean that I wear (gasp!) leather. I know, I know. And while vegan fashion has come a long way, I have to be honest, a lot of it looks, well, vegan. As if it was made in some kind of hippie tent. Exactly the kind of thing that gives vegans a bad rap. 

So yes, I will admit it. I wear leather. But to be fair, there really isn't anything that compares to the buttery soft feel of leather as it slides onto your skin. Every time you put on a leather jacket, it feels like the first time. 

There are a few staples in my closet that I keep in circulation year-round. Throw a cropped leather moto jacket over your shoulders when you wear a summer dress and you're instantly chic. Layer a leather blazer over a cashmere sweater and you've got an outfit that's flattering AND warm. Wear a leather bomber with some sneakers and your favorite team's tee and you're ready to tailgate. Though often pricey, the cost-per-wear value of a leather jacket derives from the fact that it will live in your closet for years to come.

Here are a few of my favorite leather jacket trends right now.

Bernardo Leather Jacket, Nordstrom.
I love the rich brown color of this coat and the stand up collar. the shoulders are structured without looking padded. The bronzed metal zipper and metal detailing is a nice touch. 

Blank NYC Faux Leather Moto, Nordstrom. 
This one actually IS vegan. I love the deep green color; the hue adds a richness to the coat. And the moto style is ultra wearable. It's cropped a bit in the back and looks great with a maxi dress. 

Lewit Leather Blazer, Nordstrom.
This blazer is so chic and oh so soft and supple. Throw it on over leggings, a white button-up blouse, and slip into some leather mules and an outfit you have made.
Vigoss Hooded Leather Jacket, Nordstrom.
This distressed black color is almost brown in person and has that lived-in feel of a great coat for a fraction of the price. I love the grey hood peeking out for that faux layered look. I would wear this to a concert or out for drinks at a bar. Wear it over anything, but you could easily throw this on with a well-loved tee and your favorite jeans. Not every occasion calls for dressing up.