Couture: Christmas in July - The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale

Well Seattle based fashionistas, it's finally here!!! The summer holiday we've all been waiting for: The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. 



That's right. It's Christmas in July! Break out your credit cards and start your wish lists!

But seriously, the annual Nordstrom Anniversary Sale is one of my favorite fashion events of the year. What delineates this sale from those of other retailers is that when customers shop the sale, they're purchasing pre-season items at a discount, rather than post-season items to save for the following year. Not only is this sale a great time to stock up on fall's latest trends, but it's also becoming a sale that's very much about the basics. Browse through the anniversary sale catalogue and you'll notice that most of the stock includes items such as leggings, shoes, underwear, tees, sweaters, and coats. 

What I love most about the Anniversary Sale is the chance to nab some coveted designer items. The sale gives me a yearly opportunity to purchase high-end pieces that will live in my closet for the next decade, and at only a fraction of the retail price. In other words, it makes some unaffordable "wish list" items actually attainable. I'd rather stock up on a few pieces I love that I'll get years of wear out of than purchase a whole new wardrobe of basics. Though, a mix-and-match capsule wardrobe is a great approach to the sale. It's just not my approach.

Though I didn't shop in person this year, the sale is also a fun tradition. Shopping, lunch, more shopping, coffee, etc. Maybe even some champagne to top the day off! As you shop in store working with your favorite stylist, and perhaps with a family member or friend in tow, it can feel like a real event. Lucky for me, my amazing friend and stylist, Jackie Byrd (of Bellevue Nordstrom) made online shopping so easy. I sent her my wish list and she placed the order for me. Done and done. Perhaps the only shopping I'll do this year without a mask!

Here's my list of favorite items on this year's sale. I chose one favorite item for each category. Enjoy!

Favorite Designer Item: The Red Leather Coat
This jacket, by Lafayette 148, is made of lambskin and has a streamlined silhouette with classic zipper details. I love the clean lines of the coat as well as the vibrant red. I'll be wearing it with skinny jeans and sneakers, over a jumpsuit or dress, or even with a leather mini skirt for a more fierce look. Red pairs well with patterns like houndstooth and animal print. Buy it here.



Favorite Trend Item: The Camo Jean
These Hudson jeans are all the things - camo, raw-edge hemmed, and high waisted. I'll wear them immediately with a white graphic tee and bright sandals, but they will be a great piece in the fall with a sweater tucked into the waist and a pair of ankle boots. LOVE. Buy it here.



Favorite Sweater: The Cashmere Hoodie
Vince sweaters are one of my favorite items to buy on the sale. Though they are the best quality and I've had some Vince sweaters for almost a decade, they are ridiculously high priced pieces. At 40% off, they are what you should pay for a cashmere sweater. I love the sporty hood and versatile gray color. It is oh-so-soft. Can't wait to wear this with leather pants, or tucked into a corduroy skirt. Buy it here.



Favorite Shoe: The Snakeskin Mule
Mules are easily one of my favorite shoes to wear 3 seasons of the year. Somehow, even in the Seattle rain, if they are heeled, I manage to keep my feet dry. I love this pair of Chinese Laundry snakeskin silver and ivory mules. They are so fresh and fun, and at this price point (under $60), you don't have to feel guilty about trying a more trendy piece. These would look fierce with black silk joggers and a sequin camisole. Buy them here.



Favorite Top: The Plaid Button-Up
The Rails Hunter Plaid Top is a must for fall in Seattle. I have lost track of how many colors I now own, but when they go on sale every year, I snap them up. I love this in ANY color, though the Mulberry and Onyx are my faves. Wear it tied at the waist with your cut-off shorts now, and then wear it for warmth under a Canada Goose down vest in the fall! Buy it here.



Favorite Loungewear: The Matching Sweat Set
This tie die set from Nordstrom's in-house BP line is as cute as it is inexpensive. Wear them together, or wear them separate. If the on-trend tie dye isn't your thing, this set comes in a number of other colors and patterns. Buy the top here. Buy the pants here.




Favorite Outdoor Item: The Ultimate Rain Boot
I have to confess. I now own three pairs of Sorel Joan of Arctic boots. Waterproof beyond belief, these boots have a TREAD on them. Believe me, I've put them to the test. This is the number one shoe I take with me when we travel to Europe in winter months. My last pair has been to 8 countries with me and stood the test of time - over 5 years. Though they are still totally wearable and waterproof, they faded to more of a slate gray over time. I love the diagonal zipper detail that will make these easier to get on and off. Buy them here.



Favorite Accessory: The Panama Hat
This Rachel Parcell Velvet Trim Felted Wool Panama hat is just cute. I love the bright burgundy color and the $38 price point. I will wear it with a camel colored coat all fall and winter long. Buy it here.



Favorite Beauty Item: The Best Serum
The Clarins Double Serum is like liquid gold for your skin. A best selling item for years now, this is a 2-in-1 formula that targets fine lines and wrinkles, but also evens out tone and boosts radiance. This three piece set includes a full size Double Serum (1.6 oz), a 1 oz travel sized Double Serum, and a Travel Size Eye balm (.2 oz). At $178, that's a great price point since the 1.6 oz serum is usually $126 alone. Buy it here.



Favorite Men's Item: The Super Soft Skinny Jean
Let's not forget about the men! My pick for men is the 7 For All Mankind Slimmy Sport Slim Fit Jean. Made from 7FAMK's special Luxe Performance denim, these jeans have a softly brushed interior and broken in feeling. The fabric almost feels like tencel - it's that soft. The deep blue makes them a great pick for dinners out (outside, of course) because they have a more dressed up feel than a lighter, distressed pair would. Buy them here.