Carrots: Easy Weeknight Buddha Bowls

Let me start by asking, are Mondays anyone’s favorite day? They are especially not my favorite on a day like today when I don't get my act together to do any batch cooking on Sunday. That means I had to scrape something together for dinner tonight. Enter the Buddha Bowl. A Buddha Bowl is basically named for the shape it becomes in the bowl—which is a rounded heap akin to the belly of a Buddha. They are as versatile as salad, pasta, and soup in that you can pretty much throw any combination together, and they’re great for people with allergies or dietary restrictions… like me! Build your own Buddha Bowls are an easy way to entertain, especially since all the ingredients can be made ahead. To build a Buddha Bowl, you start with a grain, lentil, or vegetable base, then you add various other toppings. I like to pay attention to color, texture, and a combination of nutrients when I build my bowls. And, I generally follow some kind of theme or flavor profile.

Tonight’s Buddha Bowl was inspired by the winter weather (hence the roasted vegetables) and my yearning for spring (enter lemony vinaigrette). I started with a bed of baby kale which I dressed with a tart lemony vinaigrette and then tossed with some edamame. Then, I added roasted purple Brussels sprouts (I know! Who knew that was a thing?!) and butternut squash. I pan fried some cubed tofu and topped everything off with some dried cranberries. The tartness of the dried cranberries paired well with the nutty crispiness of the Brussels sprouts. The tofu was the star of the dish. For these flavorful little nuggets, I used some truffle mushroom salt, freshly ground pepper, olive oil, and garlic to flavor it up a bit. The decadent butternut squash kind of held the dish together, adding a subtle flavor with a rich, avocado-like texture. The dish came together beautifully and I even have enough to make another meal out of the leftovers! Winning on this Monday.