Carrots: Dining in Vancouver Part 2

If you know me in real life, you know that I am a creature of habit. I like to frequent the same barre studio. If I find a great fitting pair of jeans, I buy two. I drink the same cup of coffee every morning. So it should come as no surprise that most of the time when we travel, I enjoy circling back to my favorite haunts (see Dining in Vancouver Part 1). As a result, I have eaten at the same restaurant on our last three Vancouver trips. So this time, contrary to our nature, we decided to try something new. 

Best Romantic Dinner: The Acorn
I’d read about The Acorn before. If you search out the food scene in Vancouver, BC, you will certainly come across this local foodie favorite. A small out-of-the-way restaurant, The Acorn isn’t much to look at in terms of curb appeal. But once you’re inside, you are treated like in-laws. Not just family, but the family you roll out the red carper for. The ambiance is romantic but not fussy. It felt cozy. Intimate. In fact, it was so intimate with dim mood lighting that it was very difficult to capture any quality images. That, and wine. So, excuse the quality of the photos! At Acorn, every dish is made with plant-based ingredients, most of which are locally sourced and in season. The food is a feast for the eyes as much as it is for the stomach. Every item is plated with such artistry that you almost don’t want to eat it. But eat it you will, leaving not even a crumb on your plate. Some of our faves were the cauliflower which was served with fried grits, and the kale Caesar. We also tried the mushroom dumplings and the risotto. Every bite was melt in your mouth good. I already can’t wait to go back. If you try out The Acorn, be sure to wear your patience pants... no reservations are accepted... first come, first serve!














Best Drink with a View: Nordstrom
I know, I know. Take me to Vancouver and I will find a Nordstrom. But truly, this was a suggestion from a hostess at a bar we tried to visit but realized with the unce, unce, unce of the EDM base and the under 25 crowd that we were not going to stay at long enough for a drink let alone a snack. Seeing that we were neither tattooed nor wearing hipster clothes, the hostess steered us toward one of her favorite spots to have a drink... Nordstrom. Located on the top floor of the department store, the Nordstrom Bar Vancouver (called Bistro Verde) has a bird’s eye view of the whole of downtown. And a pretty talented set of bartenders to boot (but not aboot, ay?). And so we sat. And drank. And watched the sunset. All in relative quiet. We will definitely be back! 





Best Boozy Brunch: Water Street Cafe
Water Street Cafe is one of those gorgeous old school brunch spots with the huge street-facing windows and attentive waiters in long white aprons. I could have sat at that window table, sipped Sauvignon blanc, and watched the world go by ALL DAY. This menu offers something for everyone. Ryan had what he has deemed as one of the best breakfasts "ever": eggs benny served atop crab cakes and with a side of potato waffles. That’s right. Waffles MADE from potatoes. Hash browns, eat your heart out. I opted for a lovely salad with millet, heirloom tomatoes, mixed local greens, and avocado. And avocado toast on the side. Because brunch. I also love that Water Street Cafe offers their wine in two pour sizes--the regular 6 oz and the 9 oz Jenni-sized pour--because some days call for more wine than others. And vacations always fall into the former category.