Couture: Cyber Monday

Okay, I have a confession to make. For a brief moment of my life, I was one of those crazy Black Friday shoppers. We are talking laminated map, excel budget, and down-to-the-minute agenda. Before Cyber Monday was a thing, this is how Ryan and I managed to make Christmas happen on a budget. So I'm thrilled with the rise of Cyber Monday where I can clickity clack on my keyboard and find great deals without the rush of the crowds and the drag of finding parking. 

This year, a number of Cyber Monday deals started on SUNDAY! J.Crew, one of my all-time fave retailers, participated by offering 50% sitewide. Yep. You read that right. SITEWIDE. 

In years' past, I would rush to the store or website and buy up the most deeply discounted items, but I've learned that amassing a pile of clothing isn't the same as owning a key pieces that you truly love. Therefore, I now have a rule about deals and sales... I don't buy it if it wasn't already on my "list" (I keep an ever-evolving list of must-haves on my iPhone so I can stay focused when shopping), and if I don't love it the moment I see it, I don't take it home. Trust me here, if you don't love it under the flourescent lights of a dressing room, or on a rail thin 6'1" model, you won't love it on you at home, on any given day. 

So this year, I set out with the hope of finding a great, classic black coat. Turns out, I have a plethora of colorful coats in my closet, but not a super warm black wool one. Just my luck, the chateau parka from J.Crew was on sale. I love the fur that lines the hood, a small touch that adds a bit of fancy to a black coat. The detailing of the exposed gold zippers and hardware help to give the coat a bit of an elevated feel. The fabric is super warm. Not your run-of-the-mill wool, the stadium wool comes from a mill in Italy that the brand has been perfecting since 2006. And, all for the hot deal of HALF off! Now that's a Cyber Monday success. All that's left is waiting for it to arrive!

Coat: Chateau Parka, J.Crew