Couture: Reworking Basics for Holiday Wear

Even though some occasions, especially at the holidays, call for sequins, velvet, and metallics, these looks often come with the cost of comfort and warmth. And there is something to be said for being cozy AND festive. To accomplish this, I like to rework some of my solid basics to created a slightly dressier look for an evening out. For this look, I took a bright wool skirt and paired it with a rich green coat. To streamline the look, I kept my shoes, hair, and top basic, black, and sleek. The look came together as holiday and festively appropriate, without looking overdone. And, I didn't have to purchase a single new item to put this look together, a fact that my handsome, but thrifty husband deeply appreciated. Win, win.

Here's the look.

Coat: Italian Wool Stadium Coat, J.Crew. Skirt: Wool Mini, J.Crew. Top: Turtleneck Sweater, The Gap. Boots: Knee-high Leather, Via Spiga. Bag: Envelope Clutch, Louis Vuitton.