Couture: Shopping Guide to Prague

Since I'm not a collector of anything really besides shoes, handbags, and jewelry, I don't bring home a lot of goods when we travel. Aside from the occasional kitchy magnet to add to a rotating collection we keep on the side of the fridge, I don't scour the tourist stores, the giftshops at museums, or the kiosks outside of landmarks. I like to buy pieces that I would work into my regular wardrobe, but that also help me remember the trip. A great pair of earrings from Lucerne, a soft pom pom hat from Salzburg, a scarf from a Christmas market in Amsterdam, a special handbag from Paris. Those are more my speed than the collectible spoons, ornaments, and mugs. I like to wear pieces that tell a story and that help me remember the feeling and experience of being in a special place, picking out a special item to take home.

The good thing about Prague, well, one of MANY good things about Prague, is the exchange rate. While the Czech currency looks like things are very expensive, you actually divide by 22 to get the US Dollar (at least at the time of this blog post). What that means is things are generally cheap. A fancy five course meal out that would cost several hundred dollars in Seattle will run you maybe $100 in Prague. So, shopping is a lot more fun for Ryan in Prague than it is in Paris, Zurich, or even New York. And a happy shopping partner is much more fun to have in tow!

There is a boulevard in Prague called Parizska Street which is literally modeled after a street in Paris, presumably the Champs Elysee. And you feel a bit like you're in Paris (but with a huge discount!) thanks to the beautifully lit trees festively adorned with twinkle lights, the gorgeous 14th century architecture, the swanky cafes and bars, and the sports cars lining the street's parallel parking spots. The street is located in the old Jewish quarter and runs from Old Town Square toward Svatopluk Cech Bridge.

Every high end shop you could imagine is situated on this avenue: Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, Gucci, Prada, etc. The over-the-top window displays in each store are reason enough to stroll along the avenue, but what I was most surprised by was the friendly and welcoming customer service. Unlike in Paris or Zurich, where store clerks turn up their noses as they see Ryan and I roll in with our puffer jackets and sneakers clearly just to window shop. In Prague, we were treated like kings. Just browsing in Burberry? No problem. How about some champagne. It was a fabulous experience and we were treated like we were each salesperson's best client. 

On this particular Parizska shopping trip, I was taken by Gucci's newest line which featured quite a bit of bold red and some fun pairings of patterns... think chainlink tassels with intricate floral as a single intertwining pattern on a three piece suit. Or, an elaborate red, white, and blue nautical rope shoulder strap on a delicate top handle purse. I loved all of it. And, if I had a Paris style budget, many more pieces would have come home with me!

If you happen to visit Parizska street, I would recommend arriving in the late afternoon or early evening, just before dusk, so that you can watch the street transform as it becomes aglow at night. 

The Gucci velvet mules I was coveting. I think they should call the color "I'm Rich Red."



These loafers are the bee's knees. Okay cheesy, but seriously cute. 

Ladylike handbags with a fun pop of color and pizazz with the grossgrain bow and wrap-braid shoulder strap.

Me in front of the Gucci belts.

If you're going to go for a three piece suit, why not have it be silk, chain print and floral print, and made by Gucci?

Parizska Street at night. Elegant and beautiful.

Shopping break at Burberry. Because shopping is hard work.

A little part of me dies every time I see empty champagne glasses. But in this case, they were only empty because we'd drank them! Thank you to the friendly sales woman at Burberry kept refilling our glasses even though we were doing more looking than buying.

Old Town Square at the end of Parizska Street at night.