Carrots: Snow Day Soup

Aside from "summer vacation" there is no better pairing of words to the teacher's ear than "snow day." Let alone three snow days in a row. In our lovely and temperate Pacific Northwest, snow days are a bit like a unicorn. I recall only a handful from my childhood years in this area. In fact, in one such snow day, I wound up walking up Sahalee Way from Redmond Fall City Road at about 11:00 at night in several feet of snow. And might I add, I was about four feet tall at the time and wearing ballet flats. When I arrived on my parents' porch around midnight, I was a Jenni popsicle. 

While this snow storm wasn't quite as epic as delivering three feet of snow (although if you're a Cliff Mass follower, hold on to your snow hats because the main event hasn't hit yet), I woke up Monday morning to about 7" of snow covering my patio table so that my cute little two top suddenly looked larger than life, like furniture for a giant. 

I love the way the snow causes such a quiet. It doesn't just blanked the streets, rooftops, and sidewalks, but it cloaks the everyday hustle and bustle of a city. It's nature's way of telling all of us to slow down. And if you didn't already know that I'm a sucker for anything clean and white (note all of my dishes and my kitchen), I love how the snow makes the city look just a little more shiny and new. 

This snow day called for a big pot of soup. One that involved very few ingredients found at a single grocery store, and which would yield 6-8 servings of leftovers. Here is my super simple Snow Day Soup.

Snow Day Vegetable Barley Soup

Ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 containers Trader Joe's mirepoix (or you can waste your time chopping several cups of onion, celery, and carrots)
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 boxes (8 cups) low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup barley, uncooked
2 cups shredded green cabbage
1 large zucchini, diced
1 28-oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
In a large Dutch oven, sautee the minced garlic and mirepoix in the olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until the onion starts to become translucent.

Add the vegetable broth, barley, cabbage, zucchini, crushed tomatoes, and bay leaves. Bring to a rolling boil. Then, reduce to low, and add the Italian seasoning and some salt and pepper. 

Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes on low, stirring if you have time. I actually just let it sit. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.

Remove the bay leaves and serve with some hearty bread or a sprinkle of nutritional yeast on top. Enjoy!




This recipe was adapted from one fround on thespruceeats.com.