Couture: Animal Instincts

Though I always crave spring in the wake of the New Year, the intensely slow creep of longer days feels especially sluggish this year thanks to the heaps of snow still lingering outside of my window. While my heart might be ready for bright colored fabrics and open toed shoes, the Seattle weather says otherwise, and the onslaught of cold temps has nearly abated my enthusiasm for spring wear. Almost, but not quite.

If you’re like me, you’re sick of rotating through your warmest sweaters and even your favorite winter coats and accessories no longer bring a smile to your face as you enter your nearly fifth month of wearing them. And so while my mind is on spring, the ice slick sidewalks outside suggest that spring is still a few months away for the Pacific Northwest, no matter what Punxsutawney Phil says. So despite that our beloved American groundhog did not see his shadow, it is likely that we will be toting our scarves and hats and layers (oh my!) for a bit of time yet, so why not make it feel a little more fresh by incorporating some bright colors and bolder patterns into your pre-spring wardrobe?

If you’ve followed my blog or know me IRL, you know I love a good animal print. Animal print might be having a moment, but for me it’s always been in style. Equal parts edgy and classically chic, a good animal print pulls double duty as both a statement and a neutral. I love it when animal print is paired with a bold red, polka dots of the same color, or even with navy or gray. The key is to pull out the main color in the print, and then pull that color into the rest of the look. 

And, good news for my fellow animal print lovers; Jcrew has marked down a number of their best animal print pieces. I picked up these items on a 40% off President’s Day deal, but I know several of the pieces are still marked down. 

Below, I have listed some of my faves. And here's where to shop for them.

Leopard trench coat with removable hood. For a little pizzazz on those rainy spring days.



It's a sweater. It's a blazer. It's a sweater-blazer. I would wear this with white jeans and a black tee. I also think it would be super cute with a black sheath dress and hte leopard belt (see below).

The Tippi sweater is my favorite sweater of all time. I own a rainbow of shades, but this is my favorite. I wear it tucked into black jeans, paired with a fun mini skirt, or even just popped over a pair of shorts for a cooler summer look. The Tippi is a year round staple in almost any hue or pattern.

I saw these Wide-Leg Cropped Silk Pants and I knew I had to have them. Immediately. I wore them with a plain black Tippi (see above) and ankle boots this winter, but these pants will pair well with a silk or cotton shell come summer. For a super sexy nighttime vibe, you could wear a cami with some animal print detail and a pair of stiletto sandals to top off the look.

I spotted this belt from the street as I was walking up Madison Avenue this summer in New York City. That was July. It's currently February. And I've worn it at least once a week ever since. Do not underestimate the power of an animal print belt. Elevate a jeans and t-shirt look, cinch the waist of a sheath dress for a more fit and flare look, or add it to a pair of shorts to dress up the outfit. This is a power belt and it couldn't be a more reasonable price.

Photos courtesy of J.Crew.