Couture: Swimsuit Shopping Made Easy

While I love a sunny escape from our dreary January through March Seattle weather, I dread the inevitable swimsuit shopping that comes with it. First of all, it's swimsuit shopping. And all the subtext that that phrase implies. Second, why does it seem that even though you grab 3/4 of all the suits offered in the store, you still wind up having to get all the way dressed again just to go out and look for a different size, color, style, etc? And lastly, the lighting. Oh dear Lord. Why would a store designer put flourescent lighting in a dressing room for any kind of clothes trying on, let alone swimwear? Clearly, dressing room lighting schemes are determined by men.

Recently, while shopping for, yes, a new bikini for an upcoming sunny getaway, I had an experience that counters all the the aforementioned awfulness. I happened upon Everything But Water while I was shopping for a dress for a different event and I thought, well why not?

The Everything But Water store in Bellevue Square is a quiet oasis away from the noisy mall and pushy sales people of other retailers. Upon entering, I was warmly and genuinely greeted. The saleswoman who helped me actually listened to what I was looking for--a novel idea--and helped me select a variety of modest bikini separates in solid, classic colors, as well as bottoms that actually cover my bottom. As I wandered through and grabbed what caught my eye, she shuffled about, selecting other items that were totally in line with the vibe I was looking for. Imagine that?! 

When it came time to try on, she had secured a softly lit, private dressing room, and had all the pieces at the ready, arranged by size and color. Every few minutes, she would hover outside for a minute and ask if I needed anything, saving me from the dreaded dilemna of trying to redress in as little as possible so you can emerge from the dressing room to grab another size. And when you're braless, shoeless, with ponytail askew, frantically dashing out to grab a different sized bikini bottom, that is surely when you'll run into your ex, your boss, your unfriendly coworker, or whomever it is in your life that you don't particularly want to see on your best day, let alone when you look a half-dressed mess while swimsuit shopping. I was so very happy to just stick my arm out the door and be conveniently handed what I needed.

When I bravely showed my friendly salesperson a couple of different styles, she was honest in her feedback. And best of all, she made me feel confident in the looks I genuinely liked. In the end, she did not push me to purchase anything, though I did come away with two new tops and one bikini bottom that can be mixed and matched with what I already own. It was a wonderful experience! About the only thing that could have made it more fun is if they served something pink and fizzy to take the edge off the swimwear reveal. That, or maybe mirrors that instantly make you look tan.

The best part of my shopping experience was that I happened to pop in on a weekend when Everything But Water was highlighting their in-house brand of swimwear, effectively dubbed EBW. There are two amazing facts about the EBW line: 1) It's affordable. I mean, there is no reason why a patch of fabric smaller than my Bar Method enhanced booty should cost upward of $200. The EBW separates are all under $100. 2) The fabric is fantastic. Made from a supple, but breathable Italian fabric, the material is chlorine, pilling, and fade resistant, it is UVA/B protectant with a UPF of 50+, and it is quick drying. AND, it's actually comfortable. I love the matte, as opposed to shiny, fabric which I find to be much more flattering, especially in the unforgiving bright sunlight of a beach or poolside locale. 

In the end, I scooped up three pieces: the racerback top, the scoopneck halter top, and the hipster bottoms, all in black from the EBW line. Check out the mix-and-match EBW collection here, especially the beautiful sunflower yellow color. And while you're at it, snap up a few of Everything But Water's colorful accessories too. The store is filled with fun cover-ups, bright bangles and bracelets, floppy sun-blocking hats, and cute totes and sunnies. Happy shopping!