Carrots: Turmeric Chickpea Quinoa Salad

One of my favorite salads at my local organic grocer is upward of $7.99 a pound. And while on a Thursday night as I come home from work and don't want to figure out something for dinner I would gladly pay twice that, I thought I could save myself a lot of rush hour stops and money by making it myself.

Enter, the Met Market copy-cat Power Salad. I'm calling it the Turmeric Chickpea Quinoa Salad. 

This light, lemony, but protein-rich salad was aptly named... it is packed with fuel boasting chickpeas and edamame. But it's also a bright, flavorful salad with loads of lemon, turmeric, and a kick of curry. I ate it straight out of the bowl, tucked into pita pockets, or served with naan and homemade hummus. It's budget friendly, make-ahead-able, and, best of all, the salad lasts several days in the fridge. It's gluten free, nut free, and vegan, so it's a great dish to take to a gathering where you might be sharing food with a variety of folks with dietary restrictions and allergies.

Here's the recipe.

Turmeric Chickpea Quinoa Salad (a.k.a. Jenni's "Power Salad")

Ingredients
2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled to room temp
2 cans low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed thoroughly
9 oz. edamame (1 container from TJ's)
1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
1 1/2 cups chopped kale
1 cup shredded carrots
6 green onions, sliced
2.5 oz lemon juice (1 small lemon-sized container)
1/2 cup olive oil
3-4 tablespoons turmeric
2 tablespoons curry powder
Salt and pepper, generous to taste

Mix all the ingredients together in a very large mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate for several hours and then toss again. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve at room temp or chilled.

Note: These ingredients are not exact measurements as I tend to make salads by throwing ingredients in a big bowl. I kept track as I made this one and this is as close to the recipe as I can figure!