Carrots: Summer's Best Panzanella Salad

This is my new go-to summer salad for BBQs and entertaining. It's a vegan version of one of my favorite dishes... a panzanella salad. Incorporating the freshest of summer heirloom tomatoes, loads of fresh basil, and grilled bread, this salad is just meant to be enjoyed on a deck with a glass of perfectly chilled rose in hand.

The key to this salad is really all about the bread. Some panzanellas have an almost crouton-like crispiness to the bread. That is not my jam. I want the chunks of bread in my panzanella to be hearty enough to sop up some of the amazing dressing, but soft enough to enjoy without damaging the roof of my mouth.

This salad, and the my Star-Spangled Strawberry Pie, will be mandatory on the Fourth of July menu thanks to the rave reviews of my family.

One important recipe note: This is not a spur of the moment day-of kind of salad. The bread needs to be prepped 2-3 days prior to your meal. But sometimes, anticipation of a good meal is half the fun!

Here's the recipe.

Summer's Best Panzanella Salad

Ingredients
1 large loaf crusty vegan loaf bread (I used a pugilese)
2 lbs heirloom tomatoes (mixed colors)
1 small container ripe cherry tomatoes
1 entire large bunch of fresh basil
2 tablespoons capers
1 large red onion, diced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (+ more for grilling the bread)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Sea salt and pepper to taste

Method - Day 1
Thickly slice the bread. I cut the loaf into 1 1/4 inch thick slices. Brush with olive oil and grill on medium heat for about 7 minutes, flipping the slices halfway in between.

Cube the bread and place in Ziploc bags. Let the bread sit for 2-3 days before you make the salad.

Method - Day 3
Slice the tomatoes into 1" pieces and dice the onion. Place in a large salad bowl with the bread cubes. 

Drizzle the olive oil and red wine vinegar over the salad and toss well. Then, add the basil, capers, and salt and pepper. 

Let the salad sit about 20 minutes, then re-toss and taste. Adjust the seasoning if needed and enjoy!

The first two photos below are credited to my sister. Thanks, Jess!