Couture: Christmas in July... aka The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale!!!


Few phrases bring me more joy than "Nordstrom Anniversary Sale." That's right folks... it's finally HERE!!!!! The sale we have all been waiting for... the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. Time to get your shop on!



The Sale
The number one element that makes the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale different from other major retailer sales is that this is a preseason sale. So, rather than waiting until merchandise has sat at full price for a month or two before markdown, this sale discounts NEW merchandise. Yep. You heard that correctly. That means you can find of-the-moment pieces, including designer items, at 30-40% off. Pre-shopping for cardholders runs July 9th-July 18th. Starting on the 19th, the sale is open to non-cardholders.

The Strategy and Trends
The key to the sale is to stock up on basics. Make a list of "needs" based on your current fall/winter wardrobe, and then fill in the gaps. This is a great time of year to nab basics like long and short-sleeved tees, sweaters, denim, boots, and lingerie. But, the Anniversary Sale is also an opportunity to get a sneak peek of the upcoming fall trends. This year's sale boasted fall hues of mustard yellows, rich oranges, and olive greens. The Fall 2018 trend of animal print continues, even showing up in denim. I also noted quite a bit of dark floral, as seen on a romantic blue Rebecca Taylor silk blouse and a moody petal-covered jumpsuit by Vince. 

Whatever you wind up going for, if you're a cardholder, be sure to make the day you shop the Anniversary Sale a double points day to rack up those points toward a Nordstrom Note for future shopping! Thanks to the changes in the Nordstrom Rewards system, there's no more waiting for Notes to appear in your account or in the mail. Most rewards are available electronically within 24 hours of your most recent purchase!

The Expert Customer Service
My experience at the sale was seamless and easy thanks to style expert Jackie from the Bellevue Nordstrom and her lovely (and efficient!) assistant, Jenny, both of whom work in Via C. They offered me two ways to shop the sale: the first was to have one of them accompany me while I select items throughout the store, and the second was to let me wander on my own and lighten my load by grabbing my finds from each department. Ever the solo shopper, I opted for the second version and was thrilled when one of them happily bounced out to the escalator to grab my armload after I had perused each department. This is the trick of not only the sale, but shopping in Nordstrom more generally. Rather than selecting and trying on in each department, go through the entire store to grab all your finds and then try everything on in one fell swoop. This is not my first rodeo folks, and I can regularly be found in Nordstrom riding the escalators, product from all over the store in hand!

After I had scored my loot and snapped pics of the shoes I had spied, Jackie and Jenny helped me into a quiet corner fitting room where I was checked in on every few minutes or so, and even treated to complimentary chilled water (because trying on that many items is like a workout). They even popped down to the shoe department to grab my favorite pairs so I could be most efficient with my trying-on-of-all-the-things. Jackie and Jenny were eager to seek out other sizes or colors of pieces that weren't quite right and to give opinions on pieces that were SO very right. Jackie convinced me to try the Ali Leopard Print Frame jeans, and Jenny assured me that the Rebecca Minkoff Crocodile Crossbody was a fall must-have. And honestly, the jeans and handbag were two of my favorite pieces, not to mention items I might not have come away with if it hadn't been for their great advice! Thanks ladies!

The Haul
Here is a peek at my Anniversary Sale haul. I came away with mostly basics and a few fun pieces, all of which I snagged for a fraction of the cost that I would have paid after prices go back up on August 5th. Happy shopping, and if you happen to stop by the Bellevue store, be sure to ask for Jackie and Jenny!

The Clothes Haul
(Top, Left to Right) Sweaters: Rails Perci Intarsia Lightning Sweater, Halogen Leopard Print Cardigan, Nordstrom Signature High/Low Olive Cashmere Sweater, Theory Merino Wool Sweater in Honey. Tees: Allsaints Esme Shimmer Tee in Charcoal, Allsaints Daisy Stripe Tees in Ink Stripe and Smog White. JCrew Merci Beaucoup tee in Washed Black, Rails Cara Tees in Spotted Military and Heather Butterflies, Zella Splits Ribbed Tanks in Rosette and Ponderosa, BP Lace Camisole in Leopard Dash. (Bottom, Left to Right): Rag and Bone Raw Hem Skinny Jeans in Black, Frame Ali Leopard Skinny Jeans in Beige Leopard, Free People A-Line Leather Mini in Black.

The Accessories Haul
Tory Burch Everly Slides in Perfect Black. Vince Havana Notch Booties in Cashew Suede. Rebecca Minkoff Circle Crossbody Croc Bag. AGL Pointy Toe Mules in Grey Snake (box only, shoes not pictured). Madewell Night Star Earrings in Vintage Gold. Gorjana Super Star Necklace in Gold. Something Navy Shine Trim Wool Fedora in Camel.


The Infamous Yellow Wristband (aka all-access pass) and my key to the roped off areas of the store during pre-sale days. This year, Nordstrom also threw in a coupon for a free coffee during your shopping day! Because shopping is better with caffeine (and even MORE fun with champange... ahem, that's a hint, Nordstrom!).


You know it was a job well done when you use up all of your trunk space, even if said trunk is only mini-scule!