Couture: Tailoring with Good Measure

In one of my favorite movies, Bride Wars, a sales clerk at a bridal boutique eyes Kate Hudson's flawless physique and says, "You don't alter a Vera to fit you, you alter yourself to fit Vera." Though the pretentious ridiculousness of the line gets me laughing every time I hear it, these words could not be further from the truth.



I am lucky to have discovered the value of good tailoring long ago. Whether it's a hem to bring your skirt to that flattering mid-leg length, a nip at the waist of a blazer, a half inch raise to the cuff of a sleeve to show your wrist, or the narrowing of a pair of skinny jeans so they hug all the way down to your ankles, tailoring is that extra little touch that elevates an outfit and makes it your own. 

Still not convinced? It's also the green approach to fashion. With the fashion world's carbon footprint expected to rise 3,000 tons by 2030, holding onto the pieces we already own will become increasingly important. Why not tailor your favorite blazer and pair of jeans to make them a truly perfect fit so that you're only replacing them because they're worn out, rather than adding to your closet with fast fashion that's sure to find it's way to a donation bin after being shoved to the way (way!) back hangers for a year or two?



Enter Lani's Tailor & Alterations. Offering high quality tailoring and alteration services since 1984, my friends Kim and Dora are the best in the area. And I'm not just talking about the Eastside. I'm talking Seattle and the surrounding cities too. When you arrive at Lani's, you simply have to tell Dora and Kim what you're hoping for, change into the item, and let them do the rest. Their astoundingly quick hands will nip, pin, dart, and chalk mark in a matter of minutes, with barely a raise of your arm or a 90-degree turn required of you. Their expert eye will ensure that each garment fits in all the right places.

My family has been using Lani's Tailor & Alterations services since we moved to this area in 1985, only a year after they opened. In the early days, they would hem my tutus for ballet recitals before they moved onto my evening gowns for high school dances. I have trusted them with my most valued high end fashion pieces, which they have returned to me in better condition than when I dropped them off, so the pieces are not only better fitting, but seemingly bespoke.

So if you have that item in your closet that you're not wearing because it's not quite right, hustle on down to Lani's and be sure to ask for Dora and Kim!