Carrots: Support Local Black-Owned Restaurants

My heart has been heavy lately which is partly why I have made fewer posts. The world feels broken and dark. But with that statement, I also check my privilege. The world feels that way to me now, but it feels that way to others always. We have an obligation to do better and be better, to make tomorrow better than the yesterdays in which we grew up. The time for change starts now.

There is so much I love about food. The true nourisher of the soul, it is also a way to bring people together. Food is often the root of our celebrations, the special dish on a holiday, the offering after a funeral, the pièce de ré·sis·tance of a birthday. Food is also the heart of so many memories. One taste of my mom's pumpkin bars and I am transported back to the swiveling stool at the kitchen counter in my childhood home. One bite of pineapple and I am reminded of the beach in Wailea where Ryan and I were married.

Restaurants are a business sector that have been hit particularly hard with the pandemic. If we want to see our favorite eateries remain open, we have an obligation to continue our patronage with takeout as much as we are able. And if you're going to support a local business, why not support one owned and operated by a black business owner? Seattle has a number of incredible vegan and vegan-friendly black-owned restaurants, including one of my all-time faves, Plum Bistro. If you're thinking about the weekend ahead or a special event that will be celebrated in quarantine, why not mark the occasion with takeaway from one of these gems?

Here's the list.