Couture: Dream Sneakers

In my younger years I was all about amassing shoes. The more, the merrier. My family jokingly called me Imelda Marcos as they would heft box after box labelled "shoes" each time my husband and I moved to a new home. 

Nowadays, I'm more about quality over quantity. I'd rather own one great pair of Stuart Weiztman boots than 12 mediocre ones I found on sale but never really wear. As I become more environmentally conscious and aware of fast fashion, I realize that my carbon footprint is lower when I buy a few quality items. And especially in the case of soled or leather shoes, you can have them repaired at a good cobbler rather than replacing them every year making a quality pick also a greener pick.

My consumerist awakening happened to coincide with my new foray into sneakers. A trend that the pandemic-induced athleisure wave amplified. And with that came my love of high-end sneakers. Marrying fashion with form, designer sneakers are wearable art. They also happen to be insanely comfortable and versatile. Granted, they are an expensive, special splurge.

Here are a few of my faves rounded up from Gucci. Best of all, Gucci practices environmentally responsible manufacturing and has been a carbon neutral company since 2018. So, you can feel good about your luxury purchase. Shop Gucci, save a tree?

Gucci Ace Heart Sneakers - For when you want to show your feet, and the world, a little love.


Gucci Studded Pearl Ace Sneakers - The perfect marriage of ladylike and fierce.


Gucci Ace Embroidered Bee and Star Sneakers - Not only does this sneaker convert to a mule but the soft red appears more pink in person for a summery take on the traditional Gucci red.