Carrots: Tempeh Bacon


Tempeh isn't a faux meat product that I play with a lot. I'm more of a tofu kind of girl. But, I'm pretty excited about this recipe for tempeh bacon. I used my Ninja Air Fryer which helped the tempeh come out extra crispy.

Here's the recipe.

Vegan Tempeh Bacon

Ingredients

8 oz. Tempeh, sliced thin and cut into strips

2 tablespoons soy sauce

4 tablespoons safflower oil

3 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup

2 dashes liquid smoke

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Method

Whisk the ingredients for the marinade and submerge the tempeh strips fully in the marinade. I used a small square glass dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 4 hours. If you can, flip the tempeh strips at some point.

Preheat the air fryer to 350 for 15 minutes. Then, remove the slices from the marinade and place on a single layer in your air fryer basket. Cook for 13-15 minutes. Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Stores in an airtight container for several days in the fridge.

Serving tips: I would use this as the basis of a vegan BLT sandwich. I would also crumble it and use it as a protein-rich salad topper. It would also be great on a baked potato or atop a hearty soup!