Couture: A Closet Redone

Okay, so if you know me at all, you know that I am pretty crazy about things being tidy. As in, I borderline have a problem. For example, since I was focused on the HOLIDAYS for the past month, I haven't had time to organize my closet, and it's the thing that I think about when I wake up in the middle of the night. All those hangers. Clothes just crammed in willy nilly. Okay, so I would never just "cram" clothes in my closet, but you know what I mean. It's been a long time since my Labor Day weekend purge.

And so, this Saturday I became a whirling dervish of a cleaning machine. And no drawer, bin, or closet was left untouched.

Here are a couple of tips from my previous closet-cleaning post. Plus, a few more:


  • If you're three months into fall/winter and you haven't worn it, get rid of it. Because you don't love it.
  • If it doesn't fit, but you DO love it, get it tailored. Tailoring is God's gift to women. You know the line "You don't alter Vera to fit you, you alter yourself to fit Vera" from Bride Wars? What a load of crap. Alter everything.
  • Clean your jewelry. Because Tiffany wasn't meant to be tarnished, darling.
  • Roll, don't fold. If you have a lot of something that needs to go into a not-so-large space (i.e. all my Lulu clothes in a single dresser), ROLL the items, don't fold them. You'll fit in twice as many AND you can see everything!
  • Stow away things you aren't wearing. I.e. it was warm enough to wear denim jackets three months ago. It "might" hit 40 degrees today. So yeah, denim jackets out, faux fur vests in.
  • Steam, fold, and hang everything nicely. This means making a pile for dry cleaning items and other pieces that need laundering. And, face all the hangers the same way while you're at it!
  • Blast a little music while you work. I cleaned, steamed, folded, and organized to the beat of 90s rap. Snooooooppppppp D-Oh-Double-G. Music makes the time go faster.