Couture: OOTD Holiday Festive Attire, En Pointe

We have reached that time of the year where all the weekends and evenings are filled with social engagements and holiday festivities. While the social calendar is full and the holidays can be exhausting, I do love all the excuses to get a little more dolled up than usual. And, there are some special traditions that I look forward to all year long. Saturday was one of my favorite holiday traditions of all, my annual jaunt to see The Nutcracker with my mom, and this year our matinee was followed by dinner with the whole family. 

If you haven't been to see PNB's updated version of The Nutcracker, you should. I was hesitant to attend since I grew up on the Kent Stowell version that PNB ran for 31 years, covering the entirety of my childhood and adolescent years in the Seattle area. In 2015 when they shifted to the longer tradition of the George Balanchine version, I had reservations about seeing what would surely be a different show than my sugar-plum-coated childhood memory served. But can I just say, bravo PNB. The "new" version (and I say new in a tongue-in-cheek manner since the Balanchine version dates back to the New York City Ballet in 1954) is nothing short of amazing. The set design and costuming have had the biggest overhaul, as of course, the music is the same and much of the show has similar choreography to previous years. The Land of Sweets set design is something straight out of a child's imagination, almost Willy Wonka-esque in its over the top sugary nature. I loved the giant cakes that adorn the stage where the Sugar Plum Fairy and all the magical dreamland figures, such as the amazing floating angels, dance and welcome young Clara and her prince. And the pas de deux of the Sugar Plum Fairy and the Cavalier stole the show. Ms. Sugar Plum piques into an arabesque that she then holds as the Cavalier pulls her forward several feet for a magical gliding effect. It was a truly "wow" moment that dancers and non-dancers alike can cherish. To sum up, it was an enchanting show that I had the pleasure of seeing with my mom. And though it wasn't the show I grew up watching, it was equally as good in its own way, and perhaps all the more special since it's such a nostalgic affair for me and mom.

Though Seattle is known for our outdoorsy take on attire--hence why you could walk into a place like The Dahlia Lounge and still spot someone in crocs and another patron in a Seahawks sweatshirt--the ballet calls for a little something extra. And, since Christmas only comes once a year, the occasion called for red. And if you recall from one of my first posts ever, I tend to do red for a ballet at Christmas.

Here’s the look, inspired by my years of dancing. I learned how to make the perfect bun from my ever-so-strict Russian teacher, Vera.

Lace Pants: J.Crew. Bow Blouse: Ann Taylor. Feather Pumps: Sam Edelman. Bag: Tory Burch Fleming Quilted Convertible Shoulder Bag.