Carrots and Couture: Spotlight on NYC

There are few phrases I love more than "Spring Break". In fact, "Summer Break" and "Birthday Weekend" may be two of the only phrases that can top Spring Break for me. The life of a teacher is all about those school breaks. We work hard, but we play harder. And on this year's Spring Break, I had the pleasure to my time off in one of my favorite cities: New York.

There is an episode of Sex and The City where Carrie has a date with the city. She takes herself to a movie, goes to one of her favorite restaurants, visits a museum, etc. I forget the point of the episode, but what resonated with me was how happy one can be simply spending a day in the city alone. This is generally the case of my tag-along trips; I get to play all day while Ryan works. But if there was ever a city to have all to yourself for a day, it's New York.

I've been lucky enough to take a number of trips to New York over the last several decades and I have come to know Manhattan pretty well. Here are some highlights from my most recent trip. A day in the life of Jenni, New York style.

Where to Shop

Kate Spade Madison Avenue
This is a must. You simply must visit the multi-floor playground that is Kate Spade Madison Avenue. Bags and shoes and clothes... oh my! The store is equal parts whimsy and elegant. And I always walk away with that special piece that will help me remember New York. Ask for my friend Susan (pictured below). She's the best. Here's a shout out from a previous post.










Alice + Olivia Madison Avenue
Featured in an earlier blog post, this is one of my favorite Madison Avenue boutiques. You will be blown away by the fashion forwardness of the A + O line which features the latest trends but always in a wearable style that helps translate from runway to everyday.



Bergdorf Goodman
If you want to do some great window shopping, I mean drooling, pop into Bergdorf Goodman on Fifth Avenue. The window displays are always inspiring and the Chanel boutique is like eye candy that you can actually touch. I rode the escalator to the bottom floor and perused the cosmetics counters. I found these great compacts from Guerlain that hold your lipstick and have a built in mirror. I selected a pretty pink color (Number 01) to go in a rose gold case. It's the prettiest thing inside my handbag! And useful too.











Where to Eat

Breakfast at Tiffany (okay, brunch at Tiffany) was the most touristy experience I had on this trip, but let me tell you, the Blue Box Cafe did not disappoint. It was like walking into an imaginary land for adults where everything is Tiffany Blue. It was a bit pricey, but not really by New York standards, and the service was, as you'd expect from Tiffany, impeccable. I selected the parsnip soup and the roasted beets, both of which were plated beautifully and tasted even better. Best of all, as an early birthday surprise, my server brought out dark chocolate in the shape of a Tiffany silver bar, complete with edible glitter. I have now decided that ALL of my food should be coated in edible glitter. And of course, what's better than breakast at Tiffany? Shopping at Tiffany. I picked up a cute pair of silver earrings on my way out as a memento from the visit. This is a must-do if you are a Tiffany fan visiting Manhattan.





























Nix is a Michelin star rated restaurant that features seasonal, shareable plant based dishes. Everything in this Greenwich Village restaurant is vegan or vegetarian, but the dishes are forward-thinking in both flavor and design. Highlights include the tandoor bread with those lightly charred black edges, the sweet potato and ginger dumplings with the perfect miso scallion dipping sauce, and the tofu skin pockets which can only be described as little tofu skin burritos. By far, our favorite dish was the cauliflower tempura that comes with steamed buns and pickled vegetables. I could have eaten two of these plates on my own--surprisingly spicy and finger-lickin' fun to eat.










Avant Garden is this little hole-in-the-wall spot in the East Village. There are maybe six tables in the whole restaurant which has a super romantic vibe from the dim lighting and amazing playlist featuring upbeat but tasteful music like Mumford and Sons and The Killers. We opted to sit at The Chef's Counter, which I think I would prefer to sitting at a table anyhow. Not only did we have the opportunity to swivel in our barstools to face each other for conversation, but we also got a sneak peek at the dishes as they were being prepared by a kind chef who was more than patient in answering all of our questions. Menu highlights included an inventive kale salad that I could eat every day of my life--it was that good--and the best roasted garlic pasta I have ever eaten. The noodles are handmade every morning in the restaurant and you can truly taste the difference. 














This is an Israeli streetfood restaurant within the famed Chelsea Market on the Upper West Side. The restaurant's mission is to take the flavor of each city and translate it into pita. The lavan roasted cauliflower pita with tahini and tomato salsa is one of the best things I have ever eaten. We wolfed down the green beans and roasted baby cauliflower. Be sure to ask for extra pita on the side. Served warm, I cannot get enough. This is one of the best casual restaurants I've ever been to. While scarfing down pitas, we people watched as the busy evening market crowd flowed by. The makings of a perfect meal. And it was every bit as good as it was the last time (see previous post on Miznon).











Where to Exercise

Exhale is a yoga and bar studio and spa all in one. It's the perfect escape from the bustling streets of New York. I visited their Central Park South location and took four barre classes, treating myself to a 90 minute relaxation massage on our last day. The studio has a giant skylight that makes you feel like you're taking barre outside. If you happen to pop into Exhale Central Park South, be sure to take one of Bergen's classes. To entertain you during particularly challenging moments in class, she walks on her hands or slides across the floor on her belly. In addition to distracting you with her antics, she's also just a fantastic teacher and her classes were hard--exactly what I look for when I pay upward of $30 per class. The massage was delightful. The spa waiting area is a quiet sanctuary away from the rest of the studio and Jackie, my massuese, was fantastic. It is a rare day when I fall asleep during a massage, so the fact that I caught a nap in the middle of my 90 minute treatment speaks volumes of Jackie's work. The best part about Exhale is the sweet little boutique in the front lobby where you can find the latest trends in athleisure wear. I love a pair of pink snakeskin leggings I nabbed by brand Varley, one I'll have to hunt down online since I don't live near Exhale. 







No fitness enthusiast can say they haven't heard of SoulCycle. You see lycra clad folks walking all over the place now bearing SOUL tank tops and sweatshirts. So, naturally, I had to see what all the fuss was about. I visited the East 63rd studio while I was staying nearby and was pleasantly surprised with the experience. My instructor for both classes, Cameron, was not only inspiring in his ultra challenging class, but also in his uplifting choice of music. He would move about the room, hovering near different riders to encourage them to turn up the gear and ride faster. You come away a sweaty mess, but with peace in your heart.




Central Park
If boutique fitness studios aren't your jam, you can easily catch a great workout on the many trails that run through Central Park. I love the 6 mile loop that runs pretty much the perimeter of the park, giving you a little tour of the Upper East and Upper West. You're sure to see some characters as you run along, but I assure you that I felt perfectly safe at all points. The run was too beautiful to not stop for pics.













Where to Stay

The Plaza Hotel
All I can say is that this was the best service of any hotel we have ever been to. We will be back. Here's a link to my post on drinks at The Plaza.